The Seattle Times' Opinion on "Public Forum" Student Papers


"But we say again it is a risky thing to give legal control of a high-school newspaper to students."

Seattle Times Editorial

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Another Great Idea from the Student Press Law Center

The SPLC reminds me of my big sister when she said, "I've got a great idea. You should rig the kitchen sink sprayer to spray mom when she turns on the water." I did. And about the time mom got sprayed in the face, and my sister started laughing hysterically, the light dawned on me and I realized I'd been had.

Here's the latest advice from the SPLC to student journalists who find themselves writing for papers that are subject to prior review:

Go ahead and do all the work to write the paper, but refuse to print it as long as there is prior review."

And that hurts whom? ...  



No comments: