The Seattle Times' Opinion on "Public Forum" Student Papers


"But we say again it is a risky thing to give legal control of a high-school newspaper to students."

Seattle Times Editorial

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

To Sum Up

The school board will have the chance to choose from among 4 possible policies for the Squall.

You can read them here.

The Plymouth-Canton school board chose one of the same 4 media policies from NEOLA on March 23rd. Here is their committee report with recommendation from March 9th (13 minutes long) and their vote (5 minutes long) on video.

Policy Committee Report (the first 13 minutes)

Plymouth-Canton School Board Vote (skip ahead to 2:00:45--Find out which option the board voted for.)

It will be interesting to see what our school board does. If there is any news, I will post it.

I think this blog did what it set out to do: raise awareness in the community. The school board has the unenviable job. If you would like to send us a message, email us through the "contact us" link and make sure to leave your name.

The blog has gone from it's highest daily page view count of 3,189 and first time visitor count of 1,101 on March 29th to an average this week of 361 page views per day and 183 first time visitors per day.

Although we touched on other issues, the main focus has been supervision for The Squall. And that is certainly getting the attention and discussion it deserves.

Thanks for everything: the good, the bad and the ugly.


[I might still post the page "Who is the Student Press Law Center and why are they emailing school boards?"

The SPLC reminds me of my big sister when she said, "I've got a great idea. You should rig the kitchen sink sprayer to spray mom when she turns on the water." I did. And about the time mom got sprayed in the face, and my sister started laughing hysterically, I knew I'd been had.]

No comments: